Skip To Main Content

Financial Aid & Scholarships


Federal student aid comes from the federal government— specifically, the U.S. Department of Education. It’s money that helps a student pay for education expenses at a postsecondary school (e.g., college, vocational school, graduate school). Federal student aid covers such expenses as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. Aid also can help pay for a computer and for dependent care.

The four categories of federal student aid are:

  • Grant—Grant money usually doesn’t have to be repaid. Most U.S. Department of Education grants are based on the student’s financial need.
  • Scholarship—U.S. Department of Education scholarship money is awarded based on a student’s academic achievement and does not have to be repaid.
  • Work-study—Work-study money is earned by a student through a job on or near campus while attending school and does not have to be repaid.
  • Loan—Loan money must be repaid with interest.


The Greenwich Scholarship Association is a community organization that distributes a wide variety of locally funded scholarships. The applications are online, at Seniors and their parents will be informed when the application is open.  

Also check the Scholarship Database compiled by the College and Career Center for information on available scholarships.

Check the College and Career Update regularly for new scholarship opportunities.