English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESL)
The English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESL) Department at GHS has four full-time teachers as well as one full-time professional assistant who monitors the Learning Center. Our program oversees students' progress from the time they enter GHS until they graduate. Upon entry to Greenwich High School, there is a multi-tiered intake procedure that includes: meeting with the family/guardian, discussing individual goals for the student, completing an academic history form, filling in a questionnaire on the first language, and taking a series of tests in English. Placement tests are also administered in a variety of subject areas. The English for Speakers of Other Languages Department offers a rigorous college-preparatory program and offers 14 distinct courses in English (levels 1-4), Social Studies (1, 2 and US History), Mathematics ESL , Biology ESL, Chemistry ESL (levels 1 - 2) and Global Studies ESL (level 3 - 9th grade). All courses afford students an opportunity to earn graduation credits while acquiring more advanced academic English proficiency. Our ESL Learning Center offers academic support for all subject areas. Additionally, the ESL Department continues to offer academic support and college and career counseling for all exited English Learners (ELs) in mainstream courses. The GHS ESL Program is an international community that celebrates each student's progress and performance through structured support and instruction.
- For a full overview of the courses offered by the ESL program, please see the GHS Course of Study Guide
- Welcome Letter to New ESL Familes
- For more information, please also visit our District English Language Learners page.
Program Contact Information:
Ms. Kimberly Steinhorn
Program Associate, ESL Teacher
Ms. Jennifer Healey
Ms. Jeanne-Marie McAnanly
Mr. Roger White
Ms. Jennifer Boone
Learning Center Facilitator Jennifer_Boone@greenwich.k12.ct.us
ESL Learning Center
Awards and Celebrations:
- The English for Speakers of Other Languages Community celebrates all cultures at an annual Potluck Dinner. Families are invited to bring food from their culture to share with each other.
- The End of Year Celebration and Annual Awards Ceremony is held in June to recognize students who demonstrate exemplary performance in their classes, represent the GHS community, act as leaders in the ESL Program, and exhibit resilience. Three unique awards are given to seniors.