Social Studies explores the study of people in relation to each other and to their world. It is an issues-focused and inquiry-based interdisciplinary subject that draws upon history, geography, ecology, economics, law, philosophy, political science and other social science disciplines. Social Studies is integral to the process of enabling students to develop an understanding of who they are, what they want to become, and the society in which they want to live.
View a full list of our courses in the Course of Study Guide
Refer to the Social Studies Course Sequence for an overview of the four year program at GHS.
The GHS Social Studies Department prepares its students to be informed, active, ethical and empathetic citizens.
We achieve this by:
- Developing and implementing a rich, coherent and varied course of study;
- Delivering meaningful and rigorous inquiry-based instruction;
- Engaging students in the respectful exchange of ideas;
- Nurturing student voice, choice and intellectual curiosities;
- Providing students opportunities for impactful community engagement;
- Fostering collaboration and reflection on the part of students and teachers;
- Pursuing professional development to continuously improves Social Studies education for all students.
Each Spring the Social Studies Department honors distinguished scholars and students who have served the Greenwich community. Please see the descriptions of each award.