GHS fields Varsity, Junior Varsity and Freshman Field Hockey teams. The core pillars of success for GHS Field Hockey are:
- Be dedicated to success in the classroom
- Be respectful and show sportsmanship to everyone
- Have a positive attitude towards yourself, your teammates and your coaches
- Give your best effort at all times
- Be accountable for your actions
- Be on time and prepared
- Follow all school and program rules
- Be mentally tough and exhibit perseverance
- Be selfless and committed to team success
- Be proud of your school, team and yourself
Email Coach Wax from your school email to introduce yourself. You need to also give your parent’s email to get on the program email list! Once on this list, you will receive information regarding optional summer conditioning opportunities as well as playing opportunities and tryout details.
Practice and/or games:
Monday - Friday from 4 – 6 pm.
*Away games may get players back to GHS a little past 6pm.
*There may be an occasional Saturday game or team bonding event.
Students should join the sportsYou group for their sport as soon as they register for the season. Tryout information is on sportsYou.
*Tryouts are closed to all parents, families and community members
*An invitation to participate in sessions for the Varsity tryouts may be made to a freshman who the coaches think may play at a higher level. This invitation does not guarantee placement anywhere.
Athletes are Evaluated on:
- Coachability, Attitude and Teamwork
- Passing and Receiving
- Ball Control/Stick skills (defensive stops and offensive eliminations)
- Overall play and in-game IQ in 1v1, 2v2, 3v2, 7v7, 11v11
- Timed two mile run
- Timed 40 yard sprint without ball
- Timed 40 yard sprint with ball on stick
- Best line of communication on offered opportunities to train and play will be from the email list sent by Coach Wax.
- Athletes can refer to program website for other additional offerings
- It is the athlete's responsibility to start pre-season training immediately.
- Recommended training for incoming freshman will be to run two miles at least 3 times a week, sprint conditioning of at least 10 sets of 25 yard and 50 yard sprints every other day, overall strength training utilizing weights or bands.
Equipment Needed Daily:
- Mouth-guard (not clear)
- Sneakers and turf shoes/cleats
*You will be given a program reversible with a number on it that must be worn at every tryout session.
*Contact Coach Wax if you need help with obtaining these.